Friday, January 4, 2008

Kenneth Jernigan remembers Jerome Ashby


Jerome and I met as school bus mates in the 1960's. We were bussed from Harlem to PS 187 where we played violin. When we attended JHS 143 he switched to french horn and I to double bass. He was like a duck to water on the horn. We both went to Performing Arts HS. Our paths separated in college when he went to Julliard. I would occasionally see him around NY when he wasn't playing outside the country.

When he made it into the NY Philharmonic, I believe he and violinist Sanford Allen were the only two permanent African American members at the time. I was so proud to see my friend of so many years onstage. He was an example of the opportunities that exist for all who are willing to strive toward a goal. He was outstanding in a very visible position. I wish that I could have told him how proud and blessed I am to have known him.

His passing should not go by without proper recognition and perspective. My condolences to his family.

January 3, 2008 11:41 AM

No comments: