Tuesday, March 30, 2010

African American Cellist Damon Coleman on WGTE's 'Live from FM 91' Webcast, 10 AM ET April 2


[Damon Coleman]

AfriClassical has received an announcement from Brad Cresswell, Classical Music Director of WGTE Public Media in Toledo, Ohio:
“I wanted to give you a heads-up about the next episode of WGTE's 'Live from FM 91': Toledo Symphony Orchestra Cellist Damon Coleman will perform a live program in our studio, including three of the five Spirituals for Cello and Piano arranged by Lawrence Brown, which I believe you've profiled on your site before. The radio show is on Friday April 2nd at 10:00 a.m., and will be webcast live through our website at http://www.wgte.org. You can find more info on the program at this link: http://www.wgte.org/wgte/listen/index.asp?page_id=260. All the best - Brad Cresswell"

We have asked a few questions of Damon Coleman, including: “Which three songs will you perform? Will you have a piano accompanist?” “I notice someone by the name of Damon Coleman is listed on a 1997 RCA CD of Michael Tilson Thomas and the New World Symphony, Alma Brasileira - Music of Villa-Lobos.” Damon Coleman has replied:
“Thank you for your message. I've been a cellist with the Toledo Symphony for nine years, and I studied with Paul Katz at the Eastman School of Music. My pianist on Friday will be Michael Boyd, who teaches piano at the University of Toledo. He will also be my pianist for an upcoming solo recital on May 16 at 2:00 pm in the Great Gallery of the Toledo Museum of Art. I haven't entirely decided which three movements will be played on Friday- but as of now, my inclination is leaning towards #1, #4, and #5. The recording you found is one that was made when I was a member of the New World Symphony. To the best of my knowledge, it is the only one I'm playing on that is available to the public. Take care, Damon Coleman"

Toledo Symphony Orchestra Cellist Damon Coleman joins Brad Cresswell for live performance and conversation.
Damon Coleman, cello
Michael Boyd, piano
Fauré: Élégie for cello & piano in C minor, Op. 24
J.S. Bach: Cello Suite No. 4 in E-flat major, BWV 1010: Allemande (2) and Sarabande (4)
Lawrence Brown: Spirituals: Five Negro Folk Songs, for cello & piano (Excerpts)

No comments: