Monday, June 5, 2017

Richard Alston: On Sunday, October 8th, I will perform Anton Rubinstein's Piano Concerto No. 4 with the University City Symphony Orchestra in St. Louis, MO

Richard Alston

Richard Alston writes:

Hello and good afternoon Bill,
     On Sunday, October 8th, I will perform Anton Rubinstein's Piano Concerto No.4 with the University City Symphony Orchestra in St. Louis, MO, Leon Burke, is the Music Director and Conductor. This will be the opening concert for the orchestra's  2017-2018 season. Rubinstein's Piano Concerto No. 4 is rarely performed! I found an old copy of the score by accident in a music store.  I then listened to and fell in love with this concerto when I heard pianist Raymond Lewenthal's recording! I discovered that it was also performed by the great pianist Josef Hoffmann and pianists Michael Ponti and Oscar Levant.
     This will be my 2nd performance with the University City Symphony Orchestra. Previously I had the thrill of performing both "Rhapsody In Blue" by George Gershwin and "Yamekraw : A Negro Rhapsody" by James P. Johnson in the same concert. I love performing rarely performed works!! THANK YOU Maestro Leon Burke for this return engagement!!!!!!! The picture was taken when I performed the Gershwin and Johnson compositions with the University City Symphony Orchestra.
     Anton Rubinstein's piano composition's are very romantic and passionate! Here is a video of the finale of his Piano Trio No.1. I am joined in this performance by Christopher Lee, violinist and Ellison Arttison, cellist.


Musically,
Richard

No comments: